Utter Shock

Wow. I am in such utter shock right now that I just need to write to try and process it.

In my exploration of Facebook, checking out what friends are up to, having a look through the 'Groups' I'm in and seeing if anything's happening, I noticed a group that some of my friends are in and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

A guy that I went to primary school with, granted only for two years but I have fond memories of those two years, committed suicide earlier this year. Reading the words that informed me that he had taking his own life shocked me to the core. Even as an 8/9 year old, you could tell he was the kind of guy who was going to go places. He was incredibly intelligent, and a genuine nice guy. I read the comments that people had written about him and saw that nothing had changed. His friends shared such loving memories of him, it was really touching to read.

I'm all over the place and shocked right now. Remembering the guy I had a crush on in year 3, the guy who taught me how to write so that the letters looked like they would look if shown on a calculator, the guy who I did a project on Cicadas with :)

I could get all deep and thought-provoking about suicide, but I won't. I'll leave it at that, and continue to process the shock and wonder why, but knowing that he was a much-loved guy and destined for great things on this earth.

May he rest in peace.

3 comments:

the girl with the pink teacup said...
June 13, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Oh, man, that is heartbreaking. The suicide of anyone you've known, whether they're currently in your life or have faded into the background a little, is a devastating thing.

One thing that has always helped me to cope with such a senseless loss is to tell myself:

"This was their choice. I may not agree with it, but it's what they felt was right for them at that time, and because I love them, I will respect their choice. However, I will never forget them and how special they were, and I'll do my best to help others in their situation if I'm ever asked for help."

Not sure if that helps you, but it's helped me deal with some awfully hard times.

Lots of love

xo

Gemma said...
June 13, 2009 at 8:17 PM

That's a beautiful statement. So very true.

Thanks for sharing it with me :)

x

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...
June 14, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Oh Gemma, how awful for you - particularly finding out in such a way. Sadly the two boys I knew from childhood who committed suicide were similar gentle souls. I adore the sentiments that the girl has left, nothing helps ease the pain, but the realisation that it was their choice can make it slightly more bearable. Hugs.

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top The Life of Gems. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.