Have I gone insane?

While my head's not throbbing too badly, I decided to use my time wisely and conduct a bit of research about what there is to see and do in Paris.

I found myself a useful little site with lists of the things there are to see and do in Paris, and it's got me thinking that I just want to take J's suggestion of just 'showing up and exploring' and run with it.
The plan thus far is 5 days in Paris, 5 days in Prague and 5 days in Amsterdam (was going to do 5, 4, 5 but what's an extra day, hey?). Surely 5 days is sufficient time to explore and wander and discover new and exciting things about a culture that is totally alien to me? I'm uncertain at this stage as to whether J will be joining me in Prague & Amsterdam, but if so, he has been to both of these cities (well, der, he lives in The Netherlands, of course he's been to Amsterdam!) and can be my tour guide - he doesn't know this yet ;) He'll be joining me in Paris, and he's yet to explore Paris himself, so I'm sure we'd be able to keep ourselves well entertained for 5 days, right?
I fear that if I create a list of things I want to see/do/experience, I'll be bitterly disappointed if I miss out on something, or if it's not as fabulous as my wild imagination has created it to be in my mind. If I just show up and run amok, with J in tow, I think it would be much more fun, and really be the Adventure I'm wanting it to be.

Tell me I'm crazy if you wish, but doesn't the idea of 5 days in Paris, wandering around finding wonderful things to see/do/experience, with no planned itinerary sound pretty darn cool?

6 comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...
June 5, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Sounds like the perfect plan. I've been to Paris twice, and long to go again (currently penny-pinching for Paris to make dream a reality!). Apart from the obvious - like your first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower - just wandering around this city is utterly magical. I had a few things I wanted to do (such a try a macaron from laduree, check out the louvre on that night when nobody else goes so I could get within spitting distance of the Mona Lisa, drive up the champs elysee...) but we planned plenty of days where we just wandered around selected areas - we stayed in the Marais... perfect.

Wander, discover, enjoy - you won't regret it!

Gemma said...
June 5, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Eiffel Tower is the ONE thing I HAVE to see - I plan to be there (with the masses) on Valentines Day at sunset. Awww.

Excellent, I'm so glad that wandering and discovering will be a great way to see Paris :) Some things in life just shouldn't be planned...

Anonymous said...
June 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM

And to what do I owe the pleasure of having you follow my blog? Hope you enjoy whatever you may find in my musings!

And as I say more often then not, a life unrestrained can be a great thing, wandering from place to place, and just finding interesting things without even expecting them!

Gemma said...
June 5, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I found your writing very interesting, Kevin, and whimsically decided to follow it and see what else you would share with your readers in the future :)
Now I return the question to you ...

That's exactly the kind of adventure I want to have, I decided impulsively, so I want the decisions I make over there to be equally impulsive. Perhaps I'll pack a die and follow it's instructions?

Anonymous said...
June 6, 2009 at 9:09 AM

ummm, why was I not invited? that sounds like utopia. so blog jealous right now.

Gemma said...
June 6, 2009 at 10:24 AM

So now I have two stowaways? Awesome! I'm all for travel buddies, as long as they make themselves scarce on Valentines Day.
It does sound like a pretty awesome holiday though, if I do say so myself!

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top The Life of Gems. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.