Why NOT to buy a credit card

Given my current health - or lack thereof, my tiredness, my general nuttiness, and my desire to embrace as many opportunities presented to me as I can, I'm so glad I don't have a credit card.

With access to the internet and hours of daytime television viewing, if someone was to hand me a limitless credit card, I'd no doubt go nuts buying an abundance of apparently useful items. I'd soon be on a first name basis with the lovely people at my local post office, and probably my local bottle-o (although I'm nearly there anyway, not my fault they put the same person on every Champagne Thursday).

What would I have purchased, you ask?
Well by now, hypothetically, on their merry little way to my pretty blue house in the 'burbs would be an order of Proactiv (advertised by a girl who used to be my next door neighbour), a subscription to Jenny Craig in the hope that I too can show people a platters worth of 'fat slabs' that I'd lost. And a shed. Just because I can. It was advertised and I was suckered in.
If I'd bothered to have the television switched on between the hours of 9am and 11am, I'd probably have various cleaning products on their way also. This lovely blue house would be cleaner than umm.. something really clean? And I'd have a hose that is guaranteed not to burst off the tap. Oh credit card, where are you? How have I survived for 25 years without a hose that's guaranteed not to burst off the tap?
Before, during and after being influenced by televisual advertising, I'd be shopping up a storm online and buying even more useless items, no doubt.
Flights. Plenty of flights. I have two holidays to plan for later in the year, so I'd book those and then I'd book more flights just for the sake of it. Of course, I'd also have to make reservations in apartments so I had somewhere to stay when I went on these holidays. And clothes. What's a holiday without a whole new wardrobe?
DVDs, music, more clothes, makeup, goats and chickens for people in Third World countries. My my my, the list would be endless and the courier would be my new best friend.

Yes, it's probably a good thing I don't have a credit card. Especially when I'm at home sick.
Hmmm, actually, I'd be just as bad at work, what with the mall about 100 from my building and all. I'd set a new record for how much crap one can buy during one hour.

Unless I can find someone willing to repay this limitless credit card, I think it's best I not have a credit card, even with a small limit. The thought of making many a purchase and the money not coming out of my savings account would be far too alluring.

I think I have shopping issues.

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top The Life of Gems. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.